Update on COVID-19 guidelines
January 28, 2022
Dear students, faculty, and staff:
As I shared when we tightened our restrictions in December due to the current Omicron-fueled COVID-19 surge, our overarching goal is to be flexible and adjust university policies based on available data and public health guidance.
With the surge waning on our campuses and in Massachusetts, we are making five significant changes to our guidelines, effective February 1, 2022.
- We will be returning to in-person dining at all on-campus dining facilities.
- Fitness centers on our campuses will be re-opened.
- Visitors will be welcome on campus including residence halls provided they follow our masking guidelines and are up to date with vaccination at the time of the visit. Please note that visitors coming to campus more than five times per semester will continue to need to participate in our testing program.
- In-person events and meetings are permitted. Food and beverages are allowed, but buffet dining at events and meetings remains prohibited. Meeting locations should be chosen to allow participants to spread out as much as possible.
- Spectators will be allowed at sporting events and theatrical or other performances provided they are up to date with their COVID-19 vaccinations and are wearing masks. Spectators and audience members should spread out as much as possible.
I would like to emphasize that these changes do not mean that we are through this pandemic. It is still critically important that you follow the university COVID guidelines including participating in the surveillance testing program, following our masking guidelines and remaining up to date with your COVID vaccinations. It is in large part due to your ongoing adherence to our policies that have allowed us to make these changes.
Michael R. Jordan, M.D., M.P.H.
University Infection Control Health Director and Associate Professor of Medicine